Classic and Sportscar Centre

Telephone: 01944 758000
Email: [email protected]

Classic and Sportscar Centre, Malton

Corner Farm, West Knapton, Malton, North Yorkshire, UK, YO17 8JB


Opening Hours

  • Mon-Fri: 9.00am-5.30pm
  • Sunday: 10am-4pm
  • Closed Saturday
Back to previous page

Price: £SOLD

  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30158.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30159.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30160.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30161.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30162.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30163.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30164.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30165.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30166.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30167.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30168.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30169.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30170.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30171.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30172.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30174.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30175.jpg
  • images_catalogue/large/alvis-ta14-tickford-dhc_30176.jpg

1947 Alvis TA14 Tickford DHC

This wonderful Alvis, chassis number 21631 was despatched from the Coventry factory on the 5th December 1947 to the coachbuilders Tickford Ltd of Newport Pagnell. Upon completion some months later the Alvis was despatched to Brooklands Ltd, Bond Street bearing Tickfords body number 2008. The registration mark, JYL 707 was allocated around July 1948, by the London Alvis agents in Bond Street and was supplied new to Colonel Erskine of Sydenham, Kent. This Alvis TA 14 DHC is said to be one of just 26 existing survivors worldwide and has arrived with us in lovely condition throughout. The very interesting first owner of the Alvis fought in WWII and was decorated with the award of the Companion, Distinguished Service Order in 1942. He was also awarded with the Order du Chene (Luxembourg), the Grand Cross, Order of Leopoldo II of Belgium and decorated with the award of the Commander, U.S Legion of Merit and later the award of the Medaille Militaire (Belgian). Shortly after buying the Alvis brand new, he was invested as a Knight Commander, Order of the British Empire (KBE and later KCB). Between 1955 and 1965 he held the office of Aide-de-Camp General to HM Queen Elizabeth II and the held office of Lieutenant Governor and Commander in Chief of Jersey between 1958 - 1964. He was then invested as a Knight, Most Venerable Order of the Hospital St.John of Jerusalem in 1959. The highly honoured first owner passed away in 1965.

Between 2000 and 2011 the Alvis had in the region of £18,000 spent on various restoration work with Fisher Restoration and Red Triangle. There are also extensive invoices dated from the late 1980's and through the 1990's for major mechanical work so over the past thirty years the Alvis has been superbly maintained and restored to a very high standard. The majority of the late 1980's, early 1990's work is mechanical related, the most significant invoice being for an engine rebuild in November 1989 that included re-grinding the crankshaft, new bore liners to fit pistons, white metal work to main bearings and rods, new pistons, new cam followers, new oil pump and balancing the crank, rods, pulley, pistons and flywheel. In 1995 the Alvis changed hands having being superbly maintained, supported by the invoice file. The new owner kept the car for sixteen years and spent over £18,000 on what was already a strong useable well-presented car. On initial purchase the Alvis had almost £4000 of work that included re-furbishing the woodwork, making new sun visors, fitting new carpets and furflexes, removing the cylinder head, grinding the valves and re-fit the head with new gaskets and rebuilding the starter motor. In 2004 Mike Fisher Restorations Ltd took the Alvis in and treated the car to major paintwork that included taking the wings back to bare metal. In 2008 the long term owner spent £6000 with Red Triangle on various mechanical work to include a new exhaust system and mounts,  stripping down the steering box, re-commissioning the brake system fitting new gold-line shoes and linings, replacing rear hub seals as required, replacing king pins and bushes, replacing the front axle and various service work. In 2011 the Alvis was back with Fisher Restoration and had a further £7500, mainly on the engine which had not had major work since the late 1980's. JYL 707 comes with MOT certificates dating back to 1994 and we can see the car has covered around 32000 miles so whilst it has had significant expenditure over the past thirty years, it has been extensively used, driven and enjoyed.

JYL 707 presents very well with lovely older paintwork, a nice straight body and a lovely, aged upholstery that  has a delightful patina. The TA14 boasts lovely chrome work, a top quality hood and the engine bay area is very smartly presented, as is the boot area. On the road the car is exceptional with a splendid engine holding excellent oil pressure. The car starts instantly, runs smoothly and even, and offers impressive performance. The four speed gearbox is a delight with a slick changes, no crunching and the clutch feels perfect. The Alvis brakes, handles and steers very well and is ideal for regular open or closed touring. This is a car that can be used and driven with confidence, it has covered many miles in recent years and the cars previous owner in Kent has found the car a joy to own and it has proven completely reliable in the 3 years he has owned it. JYL 707 has a comprehensive history, good provenance, presents and drives beautifully and still retains a specially made Colonel mascot, presumably ordered when brand new for its first owner.

 

Price: £SOLD