Telephone: 01944 758000
Email: [email protected]
We are delighted to offer this incredibly rare, pre war Aston Martin onto the market. This is one of just 24 15/98 four seater tourers ever built and the car comes with exceptional history, provenance and is presented in show class condition. The Aston Martin 15/98 was introduced in 1937 and maintained the policy of developing refined and luxurious motor cars. Aston Martin used their new 1949c overhead camshaft four cylinder engine that was capable of achieving 85mph, mated with a Moss syncromesh gearbox, Girling rod operated brakes and Luvax hydraulic rear dampers. Production of the model was incredibly low, only 176 2 litre cars were ever built and today the Aston Martin 15/98 is both very rare and highly sought after.
DAF 659 was manufactured at Feltham, Middlesex and first registered to Mrs Cicily Wilkinson of St Minver, Cornwall on the 17th April 1937 via Lancelot Prideaux-Brune's Winter Garden Garage in London's Pancras Street at a cost of just £575. A former Aston Martin board member and founding committee member of the Aston Martin Owners Club, Prideaux-Brune owned an estate in Padstow, Cornwall and may well have known his lady customer socially. The intrepid Mrs Wilkinson, who had not only learnt to fly during the Great War but also drove ambulances on the Western Front, kept 'DAF 659' until May 1938. It is known to have belonged subsequently to John Glaisyer, Frank Scrase, David Brister, Duncan Andrew and A W F Simmonds before coming into the ownership of the Hollinshead family, who kept the Aston in barn storage for some 37 years.
In 2003, the Aston Martin was sold in ‘barn find' condition and was in need of major restoration. The owner commissioned Simon Hawkes Restoration of Easton-in-Gordano, Avon to carry out a complete nut and bolt, ground up restoration that was carried out to an exceptional standard. The engine was comprehensively overhauled incorporating an uprated EN40 billet steel crankshaft, Arrow con-rods, 1½" SU carburettors together with a new camshaft, valves, big-end bearing shells, timing chain, Omega high-compression pistons plus reconditioned water and oil pumps etc. All parts were supplied by marque specialist Ecurie Bertelli. Back in the 1960's the Aston Martin was fitted with a Jaguar four speed manual gearbox and during rebuild this was retained and further enhanced with the addition of a competition overdrive switch and new clutch. Orson Equipment supplied new front, rear hubs and drive shafts, while Ecurie Bertelli renewed the kingpins and provided five new 17" wire wheels. The interior was re-trimmed by J Krych, Adrian Sidwell overhauled the instruments and S&T Plating were responsible for refurbishing the brightwork. The restoration took some three years to c omplete at a cost of around £83,000 and is documented by a video on memory stick. Since completion, 'DAF 659' has undertaken numerous enjoyable runs to destinations including Brittany, Normandy and Goodwood for the Revival meeting.
In 2013 the Aston Martin was purchased by the most recent owner and it has since formed part of his impressive collection. The car has been kept in showroom condition, is of exhibition standard and has been maintained to the highest of standards. During recent ownership the Aston Martin has been back to Ecurie Bertelli for additional works that have cost in excess of £8,000. On arrival with us, this rare Aston Martin has been through our workshops for pre sale checks and has then been driven over to us faultlessly. The car is presented in outstanding condition and it has such a powerful presence. The lines of the car are just beautiful and with its first class paintwork, trim and chrome work, the car is ready to grace any collection. DAF 659 drives superbly, offers impressive performance from the rebuilt 1949cc four cylinder engine and offers reliable open pre war motoring in what is a very rare, prestigious and highly desirable marque. This would most certainly make an important addition to any serious Aston Martin collection. DAF 659 comes with two large folders of paperwork to include the original brown ‘buff' logbook, copy build records, numerous restoration and maintenance invoices, old tax discs and previous owner correspondence.